Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hot Chocolate Winter Wreath

Decided to make a wreath using scrapbook paper. Instead of making it specific to Christmas, I opted for Winter (that way I can leave it up longer).
What you will need:
  • large cardboard circle
  • several triangles (mine are roughly 3 x 4 square cut diagonally in half): I used Hot Chocolate by Fancy Pants Designs
  • adhesive
  • stapler
  • ink
I cut a whole bunch of triangles using double sided cardstock. I really had no idea how many I would need.

Then I stapled (so as not to waste all my adhesive...plus it was super quick this way) them to look like the picture below. Before stapling, I did ink the edges. That is optional. I have a thing about inking or distressing edges. I then crinkled them for dimension.

Once I finished with one pattern, I placed them out on the cardboard circle to see how I wanted them.

I found it easiest to place on at the top, one at the bottom and one on each side (at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock). Then I filled in the spaces between with more.

Basically from this point on you just rinse and repeat.

Third row (was looking a little iffy at this stage and I found that maybe using a double sided cardstock with a solid whitish side was not the best).

By the fourth row I was running out of room, so there are smaller triangles used so that I could fit two in between the larger ones.

For the center I cut out the snowman from one of the papers. I wanted to bling him up a little. The hat was covered with textured ribbon. The body was covered with glitter glaze. I used some black bling for the "coal" eyes. The mouth is dotted with Diamond Glaze. The nose is a piece of ric rac. It ended up looking very carrotish! I can't believe I didn't have any ribbon to use for the scarf...but nothing in my stash matched right. So...I used some of the stickers that came with the collection.

For the middle I used a larger circle that I crimped all around the edges. The next circle I stitched. After placing the snowman in the middle, I used more of the glitter glaze to make "snowflakes".

Then all that it need were some arms. Thanks to my messy backyard...I had plenty of little twigs for that.

Very happy with the finished product. I am looking forward to making another one and tweaking the process a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks awesome!

    Happy holidays :)

    Happy blogoversary :)


Talk to me...